Music Contract Agreement
This Music Contract Agreement (the “Agreement”) is made on [date] by and between [Label name], a [state/country] corporation with its principal place of business at [address] (the “Label”), and [Artist name], with a mailing address at [address] (the “Artiste”).
- Engagement: The Artiste agrees to provide recording services to the Label for the purpose of producing a musical recording (the “Recording”). The Label agrees to release the Recording under the Label’s name, logo, and/or trademark.
- Payment: The Label agrees to pay the Artiste a one-time advance payment of [amount] upon signing of this Agreement, which will be recouped from future earnings of the Recording. The Label also agrees to pay the Artiste a royalty rate of [percentage]% on all net revenue received by the Label from the sale, licensing, or other exploitation of the Recording. The Artiste acknowledges that the advance and royalties are the Artiste’s sole compensation for the Recording.
- Recording: The Recording will consist of [number] songs, all of which will be written, composed, and performed by the Artist. The Label agrees to provide a recording studio, engineers, and technicians for the Recording, at the Label’s expense.
- Ownership: The Artiste retains ownership of all copyright and other intellectual property rights in the Recording. The Label retains ownership of the master recordings and all other rights in the Recording not granted to the Artiste.
- Term: This Agreement shall commence on the date of signing and continue for a period of [number] years, unless terminated earlier by mutual agreement or by the Label for cause. The Label may extend the term for additional periods of [number] years by providing written notice to the Artiste at least [number] days prior to the expiration of the current term.
- Promotion: The Label agrees to use its best efforts to promote and market the Recording, including creating and distributing physical and digital copies, submitting the Recording for radio play, and scheduling live performances and interviews. The Artiste agrees to cooperate with the Label in all reasonable promotional activities.
Representations and Warranties. The Artiste represents and warrants that:
The Artiste has the full right and authority to enter into this Agreement and to grant the rights granted herein;
The Recording does not infringe the copyright or other intellectual property rights of any third party;
The Recording does not contain any defamatory, obscene, or otherwise unlawful material; The Artiste has not entered into any other agreement that would conflict with this Agreement; and The Artist has not been convicted of any felony or other crime involving moral turpitude.
- Indemnification: The Artiste agrees to indemnify and hold the Label harmless from any and all claims, damages, liabilities, and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or in connection with any breach of the Artist’es representations and warranties.
- Governing Law: This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of [state/country].
- Entire Agreement: This Agreement constitutes the entire understanding between the parties and supersedes all prior negotiations, understandings, and agreements between the parties, whether written or oral.
- Counterparts: This Agreement may be executed in counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original, but all of which together shall constitute one and the same instrument.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have executed this Agreement as of the date first above written.